I enjoyed my walk through Iowa despite some hot and humid weather early on. I was joined by my cousin Jim and wife Deb on the second day and enjoyed their company. The terrain surprised me, but I was told that a glacier made the bottom two counties in Iowa rather hilly and that the flat part which I expected, was further north. The people were very receptive and friendly and I met several I’ll never forget. All and all I was impressed. I was told that there was only corn and soy beans in Iowa and that proved correct. Except for a half dozen fields of hay, I saw no other crop.
Here are the stats from my walk through Iowa:
- Miles Walked: 266.5
- Average Miles per Day: 19.75
- % of Walk Completed: 66%
- Days Walked: 13.5
- Days Off: 2.5
- Money Found: $3.68
- Average Money Found per Day: $0.27
- Average Money Found per Mile: $0.014
- Counties Walked Through: 10 (Fremont, Page, Taylor, Ringgold, Decatur, Wayne, Appanose, Davis, Van Buren and Lee)
- State Highways Walked: 2
- US Highways Walked: 3
- Major Bridges Crossed: 1.5 (half bridge at Missouri River and the Des Moines River)
- Most Unusual Find: a real horseshoe from a real horse
You must be logged in to post a comment.