Day 56: Rainy Days and Mondays…

Great Salt LakeWell, like the song says, rainy days and Mondays always get me down. We woke up to rain and actually it rained most of the night. We decided that this day would best be spent doing errands and some sightseeing in Salt Lake City. So that’s what we did. We got the RV dumped and took on water in Spring Lake and I had to buy some new cargo pants (smaller size) at Wal-Mart. It’s the first time in decades that my pants size went down. Hopefully in another month I’ll have to buy some smaller ones. Wouldn’t that be a hoot?

We drove the 50-some miles to SLC and took a self guided tour of that city. It is just like all other modern American cities except it has one fantastic mountain range as a backdrop. It is actually quite clean and we were impressed. The whole SL valley from north of SLC to way south of Provo is very populated and busy. It is quite a contrast from the lonely desert I’ve been used to. We then drove out to the lake itself and was quite surprised at just how far out it has receded from its original shoreline. We stopped at a marina off I-80 and the water had to be a good half-to-three-quarter miles away from the marina. All there was between the marina and the water was mud flats with splotches of water here and there. Interesting.

We visited Jim & Jackie B, old Southern Cross friends I worked with in Texas and Georgia. I hadn’t seen them in a couple of years and when I found out they were working in SLC, we just had to get together for a hamburger. Thanks to them for their donation to Gateway. It is much appreciated.

I found out this morning that the daughter of a classmate of mine from FCHS passed away last Saturday of bone cancer. She left two small children. This is another reason I’m walking to raise money for research in this area. It is a job that probably will never be finished.

By the way, I got an email from Vincent Yu, the cyclist from Taiwan who is riding around the world. He is in Arapahoe, NE and about halfway across the country. He gave me a link to his website and I will put it in the blog later. It has been translated by some of his friends into English, and is a little sketchy, but you’ll be able to figure it out. Hopefully the weather will clear tomorrow and the walk will resume. Till then.